The food in front of the schools is plentiful and cheap. It is consumed by the students who have not been able too eat before leaving for school. This is unfortunately the majority of the students in the morning. It looks good and it is delicious. The only bad part is that it is not good for the children. It is the fast food of Thailand. The west has their drive through restaurants that causes the obesity and we unfortunately have the street food. I would sure like to see an alternative way to feed the kids before they enter the classrooms.
Oil is probably the main ingredient that is causing the most harm. It is used in almost every product presented in front of the school. There are some items that could be steamed or boiled such as potatoes, chicken, fish, and artificial crab. It is just too easy to deep fry everything because they already have the oil hot from deep frying the French fries and chicken nuggets. The kids get another serving of oil when they are leaving in the afternoon and would like a snack before heading home. I do not know what type of oil is being used but at the prices that they are charging for the food, I am sure it is not the real expensive kind. Now for a child to eat this type of food every once in a while it wouldn't be a big deal. These kids are eating this two times a day for forty weeks a year. There is a reason why the children have weight problems and we take a blind eye to what is a major factor.
Fruits and vegetables are not to be found in what is offered in the a.m.. I wonder why a country with the most beautiful variety of fruit available at the markets can not provide some of it as an option in front of the schools in the morning. There is a lady who sells fruit at one of the back gates most of the time. She always has a steady flow of customers. They are students who are tired of eating all of the junk food. her prices are fair and are comparable to the deep fried alternatives being pushed onto the children. There is unfortunately a larger profit margin selling the deep fried products.
If there is a way to fix of perhaps positively influence this problem, please feel free to write on this blog and give me your point of view. If we work together, I am sure we could come up with some sort of alternative that could help some of the children. Thank You.
Thursday, November 22, 2018
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





1 comment:
When I was that age it's really fun to buy and eat it with friends. My mom give me 50 bath when I go to school every day so I save it and buy the food when I go home.
Post a Comment